And in case you were wondering, I totally met my goal and surpassed it. I set out to read 25 but ended up reading over 30! (Hopefully by the last day of this month, I'll hit 40 in total. *fingers crossed*)
Next year, Alexa of Alexa Loves Books & I will be hosting the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge again in 2016! We're excited to be reading more fantasies (and there are a ton coming out next year!), not to mention a ton of fun plans in store! We hope all fantasy readers - whether you're a newbie or a veteran - will be joining us again, and we promise that, as with last year, things will be real simple.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The challenge will run from January 1-December 31, 2016.
- We're welcoming all readers to join us for this challenge! In order to sign up, readers just need to link to their blogs or their Goodreads profile or their Twitter / YouTube / Instagram account in the Linky below. That way, we can see where you'll be sharing your thoughts on all your fantasy reads (and we can come and visit you)!
- You can read as many fantasy novels as you'd like to. No levels for this challenge!
- There will be two giveaways, one at 6 months and one at the end of the year. More details will be provided closer to those dates.
- Help us spread the word! Feel free to tweet about the challenge using our official hashtag #flightsoffantasy, grab the button to link to the challenge in your blog sidebar, share the image on Pinterest / Instagram or even write your own post about it. We love talking with fellow fantasy fans and want to reach as many of them as possible!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Challenge yourself to read a certain number of fantasy books. Share your challenge number in a comment, a blog post, a tweet or whatever other way you can think of!
- Around the last week of each month, we'll be sharing our personal updates on how the challenge is going for us. We'll be including a Linky, just in case you decided to do the same. (This is optional!)
- As mentioned, there will be giveaways! If you want to gain bonus entries for the giveaways, read any (or even all!) of our favorite fantasy books listed below:
- Joint Favorites: Throne of Glass, Harry Potter, Fire and Thorns, Snow Like Ashes, The Queen of the Tearling, Six of Crows, Truthwitch
- Alexa's Favorites: Eon, Daughter of the Forest, The Elemental Trilogy, Song of the Lioness, The Hobbit
- Rachel's Favorites: The Grisha Trilogy, Harper Hall Trilogy, The Fever series, The Winner's Curse trilogy, Graceling
- We're incorporating Twitter chats into the event next year. The current plan is to do at least three chats - one at the start of the year, one in the middle of the year and one at the end of it. The details will be coming to you closer to the dates.
FLIGHTS OF FANTASY BOOK CLUB:
We're also started the Flights of Fantasy Book Club, FOF Book Club for short. Rachel & I are planning to read some new-to-us fantasy authors next year, and we wanted to invite you guys to join us. Whether you've read these books before, or you're reading them as a newbie too, we'd love to have you join us in discussing them every other month!
- Read January / Discuss February: Robin McKinley
- Read March / Discuss April: Robin Hobb
- Read May / Discuss June: Jay Kristoff
- Read July / Discuss August: Jacqueline Carey
- Read September / Discuss October: Sharon Shinn
- Read November / Discuss December: Philippa Ballantine
Now, for my personal goal, I'm making it a point to read 35 fantasy books next year and a fantasy series recommended to me by Alexa (she chose Eon!). It's a goal I can definitely reach but as always, I'll try to surpass it.
And that's really all you need to know about the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge. Simple, right? We certainly hope you'll be joining us in indulging your love of fantasy reads in 2016! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section or tweet either of us directly.
If you have a blog, here's a button you can include in the sidebar and we hope to see your name in the Linky below!